4/7/08

You think I can do it? Have faith...maybe I can't...

So, I am slated to undergo the ASM (Assistant Store Manager) or RMT (Retail Management Training, I think) program within, hopefully, the next month-and-a-half. This is an exciting thing because it means I am being recognized and rewarded for the hard work I put in daily for this company. It is the next step forward, the next step upward, and it is not as simple as I imagined it to be. There are many things involved before partaking in this training program. There are criteria to be met, certain things that one would have had to accomplish in their tenure as a shift-supervisor. One would have to have completed a Gold Standards Checklist (GSC) which measures how the store is performing in different categories, and have held at least 2 specialist roles. Then there is the interview, first with the district manager and then with the head of training for the company (or at least for the city of Toronto). Therein lies my conundrum, my dilemma, my problem.

Here's the thing: I've done the GSC, completed it, finished it, filled it in. I have also held at least 2 specialist roles within the last year: Cleaning and Maintenance as well as Pastry Management. The problem is with the interview. There is little to no doubt in my mind that I can handle the duties and learning of an assistant store manager. Hell, I do more work than the current ASM my store has in its employ. So, yes, I can do the job and I can do it well. Interviews, on the other hand, I am not so good at. I guess the main point of said interview is to relay to the interviewers that you are capable, able to perform beyond the expectations they have set. All using nothing but words. In other words, you have to tell them how good a worker you are. You have to build yourself up and sell yourself to the point where the interviewers think, "Yes. This is exactly the candidate that we are looking for. He would be perfect." I can do that well enough. In private. When it comes to prospective employers, though, I just freeze up. I draw a blank and could not move on from there.

If I did not have to do the interview I think I would be great. There are currently individuals participating in the RMT program and I know for a fact that I work better than they do. I am more organized; better at solving problems; can manage my time with great efficiency; and am well liked and depended upon. I basically can do it. I just can't pass the interview. At least, it feels like I can't. I dislike highlighting my good points so blatantly. It sort of makes me feel dirty. But, once it comes I really cannot hide from it. I guess I should just face it squarely. Would practicing help? Well, it certainly can't hurt to be prepared for it.

No comments: